Tuesday, June 3, 2014

A Short Ride With Views

Today I headed out for a bike ride before the storm came. I am using a brand bike called, Specialized,  that was fairly cheep and rides great for the area. If you don't have a bike I would suggest the Citi bike programs that are located throughout New York City. I would also suggest that you come to the Brooklyn Heights area to rent them. Here you can find plenty of bike paths and less traffic to deal with. I believe you can find one right outside the 2 or 3 subway line stop called Clark Street, it is the first stop on the red line out of Manhattan.

Heading down towards the water front on Clark Street, you will find a beautiful bike path that will take you along Dumbo, Brooklyn Heights, Cobble Hill and some of Carroll Gardens. The path has plenty of areas to stop for rest that will have small food vendors and plenty of water fountains if you run out of water. I ended up riding down to a part of Brooklyn called Red Hook, which you can get to from the bike path. If you follow Columbia St. south, you will come to Degraw Street, here you can make a right, following as the Degraw Street curves it will become Van Brunt Street, here it lead's you down to Red Hook, Brooklyn. I noticed a Fairway market, where they have a cafeteria. I stopped in for a snack and rested on some tables the market has set up outside.

 I ended up bringing my camera for some photos. I found that the area of Red Hook is filled with many scenic views of the Statue of Liberty, downtown Manhattan and some old buildings. With minimal effort I was able to travel to a part of Brooklyn, using my bike for what ended up being a perfect day.



No comments:

Post a Comment