Tuesday, June 10, 2014

The Town of Oyster Bay


 I traveled to Oyster Bay, New York this weekend to ride my bike because it has hills. Oyster Bay is a quiet town on the north shore of Long Island and is accessible by taking the Long Island Rail Road from New York City. The town itself is quaint, with small shops and restaurants to visit. These restaurants are located down along East Maine St. The beach can be found close by and is unique because it sits in a cove that is separated from the Long Island Sound, which is a calmer and warmer body of water to swim in. The beaches are accessible and usually not crowded, with lots of fun activities, to include volleyball, basketball and of course laying on a lawn chair watching the tide role in and out. I would highly recommend a morning trip here since the town is so close and easy to get to from New York City. 

1 comment:

  1. Good description of Oyster Bay. However, I have mixed feeling about this place. I have lived in Westchester County, NY most of my life in a village called Dobbs Ferry. I still live here. It's a small nice little quiant town, perfect for raising a family. My fellow Ferrians are middle to upper middle class with some really wealthy families scattered about.

    Anyway, to make a long story short. I took myself, my two young children and of course my wife to Oyster Bay one weekend to see their train museum. It was kind of run down, but the kids loved it and the people who ran the museum were very nice.

    However, after we visited the museum sites, we went into the town for lunch. I have never seen and met so many obnoxious people in my life!

    For starters, the diner we ate at was aweful. The food was actually good, but the stares from the people inside and the way the wait staff treated us was horrible. Granted, I had two young children with me, but they acted like my kids were aliens. We finish eating and then they tell me they didn't accept credit cards and pointed to a small ATM in their enterance. I almost lost it at this point. I held my tounge, withdrew the money, paid the owner and was on my way.

    After this disaster, my wife and I decided to take the kids across the street of the diner to the ice cream shop. Big mistake as they were equally rude. To top it off my son started to cry as we were leaving the ice cream shop. My wife who left for our car moments before overheard some woman in the street say, "Oh yeah! That's that boy from the diner." Real obnoxiously.

    Now I'm from a small town and used to the occasional nonsense like this, but this seemed to me overly obnoxious from people who shouldn't have gone there with us. I was insulted. I'll probably never go back to Oyster Bay.

    ReplyDelete